The last days I 've done several test-installs of main-server that has ended with GRUB error. This evening I did test installs in virtualbox, and I recognized a difference in the install procedure. When installing on real hardware I got 3 or 4 choices on how to do the automatic partitioning. Here I have choosed automatic with LVM. When installing in virtualbox, I don't get this choice, only the automatic partitioning "bullet".

The install on real hardware ends in GRUB error

The vbox install reboots, the DebianEdu screen shows up and hangs for a while before changing into a cli with the following text:

Booting the kernel.
 7 logical volume(s) in the volume group "vg-system" now active
 7 logical volume(s) in the volume group "vg-system" now active
kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/mapper/VG_SYSTEM_SWAP_1) 0 DM-3(254-3)
kinit: trying to resume from /dev/mapper/VG_SYSTEM_SWAP_1
kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot....

After this I get info about error during install:

  error: Resize  of /dev/vg_system_root failed.

Another thing that maybe is worth mentioning, is that I have to delete LVM groups everytime I'm doing a new test install on real hardware. After I have deleted LVM, I have to reboot and start the install form the beginning.

OleA