On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 11:14:20AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Marc Haber, on ven. 09 juin 2017 10:57:12 +0200, wrote:
> > frankly, I don't have a clue whether I am filing this against the
> > correct package
>
> No problem, we reassign :)

Thanks!

> > I am a native speaker of German, living in Germany. And I do detest
> > software translated to German since German translations of technical
> > terms are often clumsy. I would therefore love having my Debian in
> > English, but with German punctuation, collation order, monetary and date
> > display setting etc.
>
> So what you want is actually LC_LANG=de_DE LANGUAGE=en, right?

If all software was correct, yes. I have a few programs from the GNOME
ecosystem that still insist on their German l10n with this setting.

I must admit that I have never fully understood all the locale stuff in
Unix :-(

> I guess this is what #842630 ("localechooser: Should support separating
> language from localization") is about, then: no need for a new locale,
> just a need for separating the language from the rest of the locale.

Yes, looks that way.

> Otherwise we'd end up with a flurry of language/country combination,
> that'd be unmaintainable.

I was just astonished that the Danish get the privilege, and ther
Germans dont.

Greetings
Marc