On 2017-06-09 12:15, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 11:14:20AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Marc Haber, on ven. 09 juin 2017 10:57:12 +0200, wrote:
> > > frankly, I don't have a clue whether I am filing this against the
> > > correct package
> >
> > No problem, we reassign :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> > > I am a native speaker of German, living in Germany. And I do detest
> > > software translated to German since German translations of technical
> > > terms are often clumsy. I would therefore love having my Debian in
> > > English, but with German punctuation, collation order, monetary and date
> > > display setting etc.
> >
> > So what you want is actually LC_LANG=de_DE LANGUAGE=en, right?
>
> If all software was correct, yes. I have a few programs from the GNOME
> ecosystem that still insist on their German l10n with this setting.
>
> I must admit that I have never fully understood all the locale stuff in
> Unix :-(
>
> > I guess this is what #842630 ("localechooser: Should support separating
> > language from localization") is about, then: no need for a new locale,
> > just a need for separating the language from the rest of the locale.
>
> Yes, looks that way.
>
> > Otherwise we'd end up with a flurry of language/country combination,
> > that'd be unmaintainable.
>
> I was just astonished that the Danish get the privilege, and ther
> Germans dont.

This locale is there for historical reason. It has been added more than
20 years ago has a hack to provide "day, month, year" ordering, used in
most European countries except UK. DK has been chosen at that time. A
country from the Eurozone would probably have been better, but that was
not something really predictible at that time.

Aurelien

aurel...@aurel32.net                 http://www.aurel32.net