* Alexander Sack ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
[snip]
> Mike appears to be subscribed to this list ... Eric, will you jump in if
> you have any objections, etc.?

Alright, jumping in... I'm not subscribed to the list and didn't
really have any idea this was generating so much traffic. I went back
and read all the threads (I think) and I hope I have a good
understanding of what's going on. Unfortunately, I have a number of
objections.

Before I get to them, one of the interesting things pointed out in one
of the threads is that the Trademark License might be more onerous
then what trademark law (at least in the US) allows. Now, they're your
trademarks, and I have every intention of respecting your wishes when
it comes to using them. It may not paint the Mozilla Foundation in a
good light if you are indeed trying to impose more restrictions than
trademarks allow.

Now then, I personally will not accept any deal that is Debian
specific. Whether or not this is actually against DFSG #8 or not is
beside the point, I don't want to play if it's only because we're the
popular kid. This problem goes beyond Debian. Other distributions are
not going to be able to use the trademark license as written. Are you
going to cut deals with Fedora, Slackware and Gentoo as well? They're
probably more likely to want to deal than us, but does that mean the
little distros don't get to use the trademarks because they're not
worth striking a deal with?

The reason trademarks like the TeX one are more palatable is that
there's a set of technical requirements and as long as you meet them
you get to use the mark. You've already sort of done that with the
Community Edition licensing, but you haven't gone far enough for what
a distro is going to need:

* Applying security fixes
* Back porting bug fixes
* Making distro specific integration changes

and possibly a few others, that's just off the top of my head. I'm
sure you'll have some more of your own. You're the ones who get to
make the rules and if they're not too much of a burden then we'll play
and won't have to go with iceweasel. But anyone who wants to follow
the rules should be allowed to play, not just the big kids (aka
Debian).

Ok, I've just about exhausted the schoolyard metaphor, but I hope I
made my point. As it stands now I'm not going to take any action
until:

* The Mozilla Foundation tells me to stop using the marks or,
* The Trademark License is finalized (right now it still says version
  0.7 draft, so I don't consider it in any way binding).

PS please CC me on any replies, I'm not subscribed to debian-legal.

--
Eric Dorland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]