Hatta-san,

I apologize for taking so long to reply to this request, but we needed sufficient time to carefully consider the request, and to think about the consequences, both good and bad. The short reply is that we shall decline this request, for reasons explained below.

1) We have been meticulously managing the CMap files that we created, giving particular focus and attention to the Unicode CMap files over the past several years, and are also very carefully version-controlling them. We now support UTF-8, UTF-16, and UTF-32, including mappings beyond the BMP, for all of public character collection. The only CMap files that we are actively developing are the UTF (Unicode) ones. In fact, all of the CMap files are managed through UTF-32 encoding, and my CMap compiler automatically generates the UTF-8 and UTF-16 ones in order to ensure that all three types are 100% compatible, and differ only by encoding.

2) I can trace virtually all of the changes made over the years. We have spent significant effort developing these files. In short, the name space of CMap files is important, as well as their overall integrity. This is due to the fact that a large number of clients use these CMap files, and very much depend on their integrity.

3) I do understand the request that you have made, specifically to make these files freely modifiable, even in memory, in the form of patches that are applied on-the-fly. I also understand that this request does not necessarily mean that everyone will suddenly start modifying CMap files. They simply want the "freedom" to do so.

4) We are concerned about someone making a modification to a CMap file and failing at it, meaning that the CMap file either no longer functions due to a simple syntax error, or does not work as expected. It would become extremely difficult to track such problems, if they were to be reported. Such problems could also cause users to think that the fault lies with Adobe. Basically, as long as the name space of CMap files is preserved, and the CMap files are not modified, I can reliably trace issues through various versions. Making these files Open Source defeats this. If developers have specific requests for CMap files, I will consider them if they are reasonable. I consider my email box open in this regard. In fact, I very much like to hear from developers who are using our CMap files.

5) I consider the ability to freely modify CMap files comparable to redefining ASCII. There are incalculable ripple effects that can result from unwarranted modifications. While I am aware of many of the clients who are using our CMap files, there are undoubtedly numerous other clients of which I am not aware. These are the consequences that are not easily measured.

I don't consider it a bad thing to have our CMap files in a "non-free" area of Debian Linux. In fact, I consider it an honor that you have chose to include our CMap files in your distribution, even if it's in a "non-free" area. I am sure that there will always be some software in that category, so we will not be alone.

If you have further questions regarding what I wrote above, feel free to contact me at any time.

With best regards...

-- Dr. Ken Lunde
   Senior Computer Scientist, CJKV Type Development
   Adobe Systems Incorporated
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]