> RAR is not part of Debian.  It is in non-free.  This means we do not
> like its licence.

Sure, there cannot be any doubt that this is non-free software.
The question is if the license that comes with it grants free
distribution.

>    http://www.win-rar.com/winrarlicense.html?&L=0

> That licence is IMO clearly unsuitable even for Debian non-free.

> | 3a. The software's trial version may be freely distributed, with
> | exceptions noted below, provided the distribution package is not
> | modified in any way

> But we have of course modified it.

> | 3c. The unmodified installation file of WinRAR must be provided pure
> | and unpaired. Any bundling is interdicted. In particular the use of
> | any install or download software which is providing any kind of
> | download bundles is prohibited unless granted by win.rar GmbH in
> | written form

> It is not clear to me whether our distribution approaches contravene
> this.

> | 3d. Hacks/cracks, keys or key generators may not be included,
> | pointed to or referred to by the distributor of the trial version

> We (Debian) cannot possibly agree to such a condition.  It may well be
> violated in Debian (even in main) already.

I believe that clause 3b is problematic, too:

| 3b. The software's unlicensed trial version may not be distributed
| inside of any other software package without written permission.
| The software must remain in the original unmodified installation
| file

Presumably, this condition wouldn't be fulfilled for a .deb file?

|      for download without any barrier and conditions to the user
| such as collecting fees for the download or making the download
| conditional on the user giving his contact data.

No fees must be collected for the download. It is not clear if this
would also apply when distributing the software on a physical medium.

>> So what is your stance on the above license? Can the software still
>> be freely distributed?

> I think for Debian non-free we will probably want to stick with
> 5.3.b2.

The license.txt file in rar_5.3.b2.orig.tar.gz already is the new
version of the license, though.

Ulrich