Francesco Poli <invernom...@paranoici.org> writes:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:07:09 +1100 Ben Finney wrote:
>
> [...]
> > I believe there are actively-enforced patents on DVD-CSS that
> > prohibit distribution of, for example, free software that opens
> > files encrypted with that scheme.
> [...]
>
> Is this the actual reason?

I don't claim it's *the* reason for anything :-) It is certainly one
factor in decisions about what packages should be in Debian.

Relevant for this discussion, it appears to be a factor distinguishing
‘libdvdcss2’ from RAR compression tools.

> I was under the impression that the issue was due to DMCA (in the USA),
> EUCD (in the EU) and similar insane laws in other jurisdictions...

That's another factor, yes.

--
 \      “Every man would like to be God, if it were possible; some few |
  `\          find it difficult to admit the impossibility.” —Bertrand |