On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:21:20 +1200
cr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <grub>  root (hd0,0)
> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>
> <grub>  setup (hd0)
> Checking if "/boot/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
> Checking if "/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
> Error 15: File not found
>
> /boot/boot/grub/Stage1 does exist, though.   (And df confirms that I have
> got /dev/hda1 mounted as /boot)
>
> For some reason GRUB can't see the files.
> <grub>  find  "/boot/grub/stage1"   (or any other file) brings up a 'File
> not found'

Your files are in /boot/boot/grub, and they should be in /boot/grub.

To solve your problem, do "cp -a /boot/boot/grub /boot". Then you can delete
the directory /boot/boot/grub and its contents. Grub-install should work
then.

Then consider filing a bug against grub. grub-install should look for its
files in /boot/boot/grub as well as /boot/grub; update-grub already does
this.

Kevin