On Mon 22 May 2017 at 05:31:26 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 05/21/2017 09:31 AM, Dejan Jocic wrote:
> >>
> >As for number 1 can't say much about it, I do not get it either. But 2
> >happens because you've used apt-get upgrade instead of apt-get
> >dist-upgrade. Packages that will uninstall some packages already
> >installed on your system and that will change some dependencies
> >require dist-upgrade. It happens always in case of linux-image packages.
> >It will leave your previous working linux-image on though, but will
> >uninstall one older than that, so you will always end up with chance
> >to  boot in working kernel, if new one messes up some things.
> >

> If I had problems after doing apt-get dist-upgrade,
>   1. how would I distinguish a kernel problem from other problems?

Far too general a question. Better would be a description of the actual
problem.

>   2. how would I boot with the previous kernel?

Replace the kernel version in the linux and initrd lines within the GRUB
menu. For permanency, use /etc/grub.d/40_custom.

>   3. is there some specific documentation I should be reading?

On what? In general, at this stage of the freeze, dist-upgrade shouldn't
give any problem.

--
Brian