On 05/23/2017 03:57 AM, Fungi4All wrote:

> [...]
Actually, I'm running Stretch, with occasional packages reverted to
jessie distribution, and other occasional packages advanced to sid
distribution.
> packages by switching to jessie he will be stuck with those packages
> almost indefinitely, if the system doesn't eventually break due to
> inconsistencies.  Meanwhile any security and important updates in jessie
> will not apply to all those testing and unstable till their version gets
> superseded, and if ever.  Let's say he has linux 4.9.. on and jessie
> does an upgrade to 3.20, and packages in jessie are checked to all work
> with 3.20.  Who says that their update will work with an outdated 4.9?
I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that packages that run on previous
kernels (3.16 say) will continue to work under new kernels (4.9). I have
not been bitten by this as of yet, though it is always a possibility.
As far as packages advanced to Sid distribution, I make no assumptions,
I try out the package, if it works, great, if not, I can always revert
it to Stretch or Jessie.  I always inspect the changes made to the
system when installing from Sid to make sure that the changes are not
likely to break the whole system.  Again, I have not been bitten by this
as of yet, though it is probable that I will be at some time :)

--
73's,
WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray