On 05/25/2017 04:38 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
Hi all;

A while ago, while updating my Debian testing system, I got the
following error:

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Setting up apt-listchanges (3.10) ...

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/tmp/tmp.kqhvU8IqOr.aptlc/debconf-helper.py", line 6, in <module>

    import debconf

ImportError: No module named 'debconf'

dpkg: error processing package apt-listchanges (--configure):

 apt-listchanges

This error has persisted ever since. I am starting to have several
strange things happen to my system - unable to move windows with mounse
and unable to cut an paste from the monitor - that may or may not be
caused by this error. I am not sure what the effect of the error would
be nor do I know how to fix it. I found a bug report that  was similar
but none of the suggested fixes fixed this one.

Note: There is no  tmp.kqhvU8IqOr.aptlc/debconf-helper.py file on my
system. Debconf is definitely installed.

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Gary R.

Thanks for the help. Turns out that my system was defaulting to the Anaconda python installation when I used bash. I removed the path to anaconda and it fixed the problem. It will be interesting to see what happens the next time I use Anaconda.

Gary R.