This is a revisit of previous threads dealing with pulseaudio and
bluetooth devices.  This problem is that there are two instances of the
 pulseaudio daemon running on the system.  One for user Debian-gdm and
the other for the local user.  I have searched the debian user list
archives (as I've seen and dealt with this problem before but forgot
how to fix it) and none of the previously used solutions to this
problem work anymore.

Previous solutions involved changing/adding a client.conf file in
/var/lib/gdm3/.config/pulse which previously worked to solve the
problem.  This is no longer the case.  Additional information indicated
that deleting the symlink in
/var/lib/gdm3/.config/systemd/user/socket.target.wants to prevent the
startup of pulse audio.  Implementing these, which did work on previous
installations of Debian, now inhibits the extra pulseaudio server and
allows bluetooth connection and audio to show up on my pavucontrol
screen.  However, all output devices disappear from the playback page
and no actual audio comes out of the speakers (I can see the audio on
the meter bar).  The output devices available do show up on the Output
Devices page and the Configuration Page, both show properly configured
as far as I can tell.

So, the net result is I can get audio with no bluetooth (two daemons
running) or bluetooth with no audio (one daemon running).  I have no
idea where to go from here.

The two threads on the user lists that I have found are as follows:

I have a new laptop (an HP Pavilion) and have put a fresh installation
of Debian 9 (Stretch) on this system. Though the specific hardware does
not play a part in the problem.

Thanks guys (and gals) for your help.