On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Erik Christiansen
<dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> After two days of trying to google ways to get audio on the hdmi output
> on a shiny new Udoo X86 running debian 9.0.0, sheer gritted-teeth
> determination, smacking the walls of the GUI rat's maze lucked onto the
> deeply concealed interface.
>
> On the LXDE desktop, the "Sound & Video" -> "PulseAudio Volume Control"
> menu item has only 3 widely spaced tabs, underutilising the chosen
> window width, and the "Output Ports" tab offered no management or
> configuration possibilities.
>
> But there are two tiny dark triangles in the corners. Clicking on the RH
> one leads to an unnecessarily hidden tab, "Input Devices", and clicking
> again reveals "Configuration". There, in a "Profile" selection box, it
> is possible to select "Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output". Once selected, it
> even seems to be the power-on default. (Much to my surprise, given the
> user-hostile perversity of the devious GUI design, deliberately made
> unnecessarily narrow, so that two vital tabs could be hidden from the
> user, without the most tenuous rational reason for doing so.)
>
> Granted, the purpose of a GUI is to put access to necessary functions
> at the end of deep maze rat runs - but invisible secret tabs with double
> blind access?! I do believe that some of these devs are being paid by
> Microsoft to paralyse linux. (If not, we know that they were born
> arse-backwards, and have never turned around.)
>
> There is no rational explanation for failing to make all 5 tabs visible.
>
> Erik
> (Who in 30 years of s/w development never let a team member produce crap
> like that.)

I think there are two things going on here.

One is that many devs get huge displays to make it easier to code, and
then forget what the ordinary-sized displays are like. So they get careless
about the constraints imposed by ordinary-sized screens.

Another is that many devs are trying to support tablets without
designing a separate UI for them. So they cram too much in.

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with my bare cast.
http://defining-computers.blogspot.com/2017/06/reinventing-computers.html

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html