On 23.07.17 13:33, Martin Read wrote:
> The shared data file describing the default window structure of pavucontrol
> is /usr/share/pavucontrol/pavucontrol.glade. The corresponding file in the
> pavucontrol-2.0 (found in Debian jessie) and pavucontrol-3.0 (found in
> Debian stretch) source trees as downloadable from packages.debian.org
> appears to have no obviously window-size-affecting changes between the two
> versions.

Grateful thanks for taking the trouble to find the culprit file. A quick
look in /usr/share/pavucontrol/pavucontrol.glade reveals the problem, at
lines 694 and 695:

   <property name="default_width">500</property>
   <property name="default_height">400</property>

FIX: Change default_width to (minimally) 700 for all 5 tabs to display.
     (600 displays but 4, 500 displays only 3, as we well know by now.)
     N.B. A width of 800 may be needed for Martin's case, though.

> pavucontrol also reads the human-readable configuration file
> /home/USERNAME/.config/pavucontrol.ini to determine what the preferred
> window size for user USERNAME is. If this file is not present, it is created
> afresh and the default startup geometry is written to it. On my Debian
> jessie system, this geometry is 780x400 (which, in the context of the rest
> of my system configuration, is adequate to make the existence of all five
> tabs apparent).

On the new 9.0.0 install, it is also 500x400 in ~/.config/pavucontrol.ini,
and that presents only 3 tabs, as we have discussed. It confirms that
the window size is as configured at installation - not influenced by any
user action.

> I haven't upgraded to stretch, because I haven't yet been in the mood to
> spend an hour or more with my computer switched on but effectively unusable
> while I perform the upgrade, so I can't comment on the default geometry
> presented by pavucontrol in stretch.

Understood - I'll refrain from mentioning how old the Debian version on
this host is. It's all the futzing to put back the 101 bits and pieces
which provide the familiar environment that sporadically interrupts the
next few days.

Thank you for providing the means of diagnosis, and thereby the fix.

Erik

P.S. How can ~/.config/pavucontrol.ini, be undisturbed, when I had to
enlarge the window to access the config tab, and that overwrites on
closure? A pristine instance lay minimised and forgotten at the bottom
of the screen, and was closed after the one with the increased window
size, thus restoring the distro default.