On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 08:59:56AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 04:27:42PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
I don't often here fail to find a current /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I think what's
happening is the one in .local/share/ is getting copied to /var/log/ so that it
remains available in the location people historically expect, where Googling
will suggest to look, plus the typing is easier with no shifts required and
fewer characters to type.

Absolutely not true in my case.

wooledg:~$ ls -l /var/log/Xorg.0.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 46028 Apr 10 10:13 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
wooledg:~$ ls -l ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 wooledg voice 24472 Jul 24 08:10
/home/wooledg/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

How would your idea even *work*?

You'd need some sort of system logging daemon. Something which runs with
the privileges necessary to write to the log file, and which can accept
log messages from unprivileged processes, perhaps by listening on a UNIX
socket.

Just making a suggestion.

The X server can't write to /var/log because it doesn't have EUID 0
privileges any more.  It writes to this file in the home directory
because that's the only place it's sure to be able to open.

There's simply no short-cutting it: the X server's log can be in either
of these two places, and you need to check both.

--
For more information, please reread.