On Monday, 24 July 2017 21:01:37 CEST Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> AFAIK, parted (the command line program) cannot move the start of a
> partition and its contents. Only gparted (the GUI program) can.

Yes, Pascal, you're right:
> Note that after version 2.4, the following commands were removed:
> check, cp, mkfs, mkpartfs, move, resize.
[1]

I can't remember: is gparted available in debian's installation media?
Otherwise I could try and run gparted live [2].

> With LVM you could have just created a new partition, use it as a
> physical volume (PV) to extend the volume group (VG) and use the new
> available space to extend or create logical volumes (LV).

When I installed I thought LVM would be overkill for a laptop, instead it
would have been the right choice.

> With btrfs instead of ext4, you could have used a new partition to
> extend the existing filesystem.

Good to know. I chose ext4 simply because.. it was the default!

> - create an image of the partition with dd, partclone, partimage,
> clonezilla... (it must not be mounted read/write)
> - back up the filesystem contents with cp -a, rsync...
>
> The image has the advantage of saving the filesystem metadata (UUID,
> LABEL...)

Thanks, these were the hints I needed. I think I'll go for the image.

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_node/Command-explanations.html#Command-explanations
[2] http://gparted.org/livecd.php
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁    Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by glucose.