On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 00:24:00 +0100 Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue 25 Jul 2017 at 16:14:52 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 20:06:01 +0100 Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk>
> > wrote:

> > > I have got it into my head that LTS for wheezy focuses on security
> > > fixes and package updates are either non-existent or few and far
> > > between. There may be reasons for staying with that distribution
> > > but I am very unsure what "supported" for the next year means. As
> > > far as non-security issues are concerned it appears not to have
> > > any great significance.
> >
> > I get upgrades, both security and "other," several times a week
> > most of the time.  I check daily.  I've never gone more than a week
> > without something coming down the pike.  In fact, just a couple
> > days ago, I got a fairly lengthy one for multiple apps, libraries,
> > etc. IIRC, none were security related.  In other words, Wheezy is
> > still alive support-wise.
>
> A mention of the names of some of these apps would be helpful. A
> record will be in your logs.

Why?

My system, a box under my desk I custom built 10.5 years ago which
has been upgraded numerous times since, is minimal and very
non-typical: No desktop, just a window manager and a single panel with
menus.  Even X is minimal.  No games. No wifi. Apache isn't installed
Neither is samba. No local DNS.  No email server.  There is no local
network. I'm only connected to the Internet. Nothing is installed that
isn't needed.  So, what gets upgraded on my system will have little
bearing on yours. Just take satisfaction that Wheezy is supported and
will continue to be until May 2018.

But, FYI: VirtualBox 5.1 got upgraded from Oracle's repo few days ago
It wasn't installed from the Debian repo to begin with.  And
Firefox-esr a few days before which came from Debian's Security repo.