On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 09:50:03AM +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:
> Hubert Hauser <hu...@mail.com> wrote:
> > I wanted out of curiosity to see what is in /var/log/auth.log and I
> > seen empty file. All files in /var/log/ except files in /var/log/nginx
> > are empty.
>
> Probably the template from your VPS provider lacks the package rsyslog,
> cause the logs only to be available via journald.
>
> Try "journalctl -f" to see if there is any activity there.
>
> To get the default logs back, just install rsyslogd.

The actual package name is "rsyslog".

This issue (missing rsyslog) may also happen when upgrading to wheezy from
an older system (squeeze).  The rsyslog package was new and optional in
squeeze, and most systems still continued using the original syslogd+klogd
packages instead of replacing them with the new/experimental rsyslog
package.  Then, upon upgrading to wheezy, syslogd and klogd get removed,
but rsyslog does NOT get installed.

Had that happen to me on two systems, at which point I documented
it on the wiki under "Upgrade Issues"
<https://wiki.debian.org/NewInWheezy#Upgrade_issues>.