On  8 Apr, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: perl version 5.8.0, I am debugging a script that uses a module, and
: that module elicits a warning like "you only used that filehandle once,
: you dolt in <filename> line <whatever>" (I paraphrase, since I can't
: post from work, and that's where the problem is).

Why are you inclined to believe, that debugging a script belongs to the
debugger list? This list is "A discussion list for enthusiasts of
the Perl debugger", i.e. for people working on the debugger itself,
proposals towards improvements, potential bugs/fixes (although, mostly
better suited at p5p).

: The problem is the filenames is some weird characters, and they change
: when some random environment variables that have nothing to do with
: perl (I believe) change. Sometimes it "breaks" the terminal, meaning
: all the subsequent output to the screen is these weird characters
: (reminding me maybe of when you try to view a binary file in a text
: editor) and I end up having to close the session and fire up a new
: terminal window.

Could we see the code excerpts that matter?

: I know this isn't much to go on, I'm just hoping someone recognizes
: this as an issue that's been seen before (although I couldn't find
: anything in the archives, I'm not entirely sure of what I should be
: searching for)

No.

: and maybe has a clue as to how to solve it.

Not yet, unfortunately.

: P.S. Why is this group so sparse? I for one can't live without the
: debugger, I can't believe I'm just one of so few...I guess maybe most
: people don't have problems with it...

See the explanation given above.

Steven