The environment variables are parameters to a script (the script author used
this as the mechanism for providing parameters rather than command-line
arguments). If there is an environment variable that is known to cause this
behavior, I can provide a list of them, but most are "application-specific"
and don't have anything to do with the OS (unless there is some collision
that I'm not aware of). (The ones that do have something to do with OS are
PERL5LIB and PATH, which I would think wouldn't be the source of any
problems along these lines).
 The OS is red hat linux, 2.4.21-4.ELsmp