Something I think about when I read about things like this whether there
some sort of unifying principle that could be used in other debuggers or
for other similar sorts of  programs. Is there some support that a debugger
should be providing to make things like this easier?

Too often, especially with the venerable Perl debugger, you read about
patch someone has that made that does some interesting thing. Or s a trick
you can do in order to get something done that is commonly needed. It feels
less like the "art" but rather knowing about a number of isolated tricks,
or worse, workarounds that is relevant for one debugger on one programming
language.

That said, of course, all of this is cool.