Hey Ben –

If you haven’t already, you can download a trial of SmarterMail to give you a
hands on feel for how the interface works, from the system administrator to a
domain administrator to an end user.  I can’t speak to the latest version of
SmarterMail as we are still running 6.9xx (we have a current subscription but
never felt the need yet to upgrade – probably will soon), nor can I offer a
good comparison, since we were still on IMail 8.2x when we made the change.
There were three main reasons we made the switch:  cost, a much improved web
interface from our IMail 8.2x version, and the massive number of positive
recommendations about switching to SM.  Like the others, we have never looked
back.  We too were on the unlimited version of IMail, but are on a 1000 user
version of SmarterMail.  That has proved plenty for us at this point.  The nice
thing is, if we need more then we add them on.

We are heavy users of the Mailing Lists in SmarterMail.  I like the fact that
we can manage subscribers separate from lists.  Our main domain (the one that I
am on) currently has almost 70 mailing lists.  It’s great that, via the web
interface, we can add a single subscriber to multiple lists.  We can also go
into the individual lists and manage subscribers as well.  You can add your own
custom fields to the subscriber screens if you want to track Name, City,
Company Name, etc.  It also has the ability to remove a user from the lists if
they have a certain number of bounces.  While that feature was nice, we
actually increased it (maybe even turned it off – can’t remember for sure
without going and looking) because it would remove someone and nobody ever knew
about it.  There were requests about maybe alerting the administrator of such a
change, or disabling a user versus removing them, etc.  I’m just not sure
whether that part has been upgraded.  Again, we are on SmarterMail 6.9 but I
don’t think the rest of it has changed that much.

The one thing that I didn’t like about the mailing lists is that we had an ASP
page with all of the options that people could subscribe to.  At the end, when
they hit submit, it would fire off an email to IMail and subscribe (or
unsubscribe) them from all of their choices in one swoop.  SmarterMail didn’t
handle things that way, and would simply make the change for the first option
but ignore the rest of them.  We weren’t aware of that at first and had people
think they were making changes but they really weren’t.  SmarterMail does offer
the ability to tie web pages to the mail server using SOAP, etc.  But I don’t
know it and haven’t had the time to make the changeover.

Todd