From: "Patrick Childers" <pchild...@hgbd.com>
Sent 6/4/2009 10:36:30 AM
To: declude.virus@declude.com
Subject: RE: [Declude.Virus] Declude Virus inoperable for 13% of th
year?font-face {
font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
font-family: Calibri;
}
@font-face {
font-family: Tahoma;
}
@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; }
P.MsoNormal {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"
}
LI.MsoNormal {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"
}
COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
P.MsoListParagraph {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; FONT-FAMILY:
"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-style-priority: 34
}
LI.MsoListParagraph {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; FONT-FAMILY:
"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-style-priority: 34
}
DIV.MsoListParagraph {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; FONT-FAMILY:
"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-style-priority: 34
}
SPAN.EmailStyle18 {
COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-style-type: personal
}
SPAN.EmailStyle19 {
COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-style-type: personal
}
SPAN.EmailStyle20 {
COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-style-type: personal
}
SPAN.EmailStyle21 {
COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-style-type: personal
}
SPAN.EmailStyle24 {
COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-style-type:
personal-reply
}
.MsoChpDefault {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.Section1 {
page: Section1
}
Irun a business and I work for a business. Thank you. Maybe you should work for
one...~PFrom: supp...@declude.com [mailto:supp...@declude.com] On Behalf Of
David BarkerSent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 1:17 PMTo:
declude.vi...@declude.comsubject: RE: [Declude.Virus] Declude Virus inoperable
for 13% of th year?>… but I can spend almost whateverI need to to protect my
network.There are those of us who run businesses and then there are those who
work for them. Either way your feedback is appreciated ;)DavidFrom:
supp...@declude.com [mailto:supp...@declude.com] On Behalf Of Patrick
ChildersSent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:50 PMTo:
declude.vi...@declude.comsubject: RE: [Declude.Virus] Declude Virus inoperable
for 13% of th year?Comments are in-line.From: supp...@declude.com
[mailto:supp...@declude.com] On Behalf Of David BarkerSent: Thursday, June 04,
2009 10:03 AMTo: declude.vi...@declude.comsubject: RE: [Declude.Virus] Declude
Virus inoperable for 13% of th year?Sorry no marketing department to give you
the warm and fuzzy spin, just me.>Obviously.Couple of suggestions. Declude has
the ability to run upto 5 additional cmd line scanners of your choice, we
provide AVG as a courtesy to our customers as in the past Declude did not have
any internal virus scanner, you would have to go out and purchase that
separately>Well aware of that.It would be good to run more than 1 virus scanner
for several reasons, one of which is failure of an AV scanner, (admittedly in
this instance failure was on our part) But rest assured false positives, no
virus signatures, lag time are problems ALL AV vendors are faced with. There
are some that are free that work extremely well ClamWin or ClamAV is an example
of this.In addition we have ZEROHOUR as a option for Perpetual license
customers as an additional  virus scanners providing ZEROHOUR protection and
additional spam definitions. For the amount of money that this is being offered
for it is a wise investment. If you opted out of this because you didn’t want
to spend the extra few $ on security then you have different issues and it’s
not Declude.>LOL. I maybe one of the few, but I can spend almost whateverI need
to to protect my network. I do run multiple scanners as well as virus scanning
on the perimeter firewall.>If you didn’t want to spend the extra few $
on making sure your code is up-to-date then you have different issues and it’s
not your customers. Lastly Patrick please contact supp...@declude.com having
looked at your host record it does not look like you are receiving any AV
updates - it could be that your firewall is blocking the AV updates, our
support can work with you to fix that.>LOL again. Don't need to. I don't use
AVG. I only chimed in because I felt that your responses to the issue was not
helpful and somewhat offending the users of your product.>Again, if you can't
get the job done at current income levels, I suggest you come up with the
necessary figure after reviewing your operating costs. You're the one selling a
product. As for  you >wanting to know what I will pay for your product, I will
leave you with this answer:  As much as I think it is worth.>If the product is
rock solid and I feel (or believe) that the company is trying to stay up with
current technologies and cares about me as a customer,  I will pay much more
than I would to a >company that doesn't project those qualities.>Oh, and by the
way, I know how to setup a firewall. So, why don't you guys concentrate on your
code instead.>Thanks,>Patrick
Thanks
David From: supp...@declude.com [mailto:supp...@declude.com] On Behalf Of
Patrick ChildersSent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:13 AMTo:
declude.vi...@declude.comsubject: RE: [Declude.Virus] Declude Virus inoperable
for 13% of th year?How much are we willing to pay?It doesn't matter if it costs
$5 or $5000 if the product doesn't work. Especially when you, the developer,
doesn't notice the problem for a month and a half - especially when the problem
has been reported by end users. Do you not run your own product?Maybe you don't
realize this, but your whining customers put a level of "trust" in your company
whether you want it or not. This "trust"  is automatic when you are dealing
with A/V products that protect mail systems and their networks. If you lose
that trust, the cost won't matter. You won't have enough customers to stay in
business anyway.Price you product at whatever you think you need to. The mail
admins will either buy it or they won't.Maybe it's time for you to find another
person to communicate with the list. You certainly aren't giving your end users
that warm and fuzzy feeling. (IMO)Regards,~PatrickFrom: supp...@declude.com
[mailto:supp...@declude.com] On Behalf Of David BarkerSent: Wednesday, June 03,
2009 12:14 PMTo: declude.vi...@declude.comsubject: RE: [Declude.Virus] Declude
Virus inoperable for 13% of th year?Darin,I accept your constructive criticism.
With regard to the situation;1.We recognize that this was a serious
failure2.The issue was highlighted and resolved in the quickest possible
time3.Procedural steps have been put in place to ensure that this does not
happen again.4.This was an unfortunate circumstance and I understand the
frustration on the part of Declude customers5.We make every effort to meet the
needs of our customersMy statement regarding increased prices has less to do
with this current problem as it has to do with moving forward and preventing
issues like this in the future. More $ means more resources which means more
can be done which equates to less risk in all areas.  Declude has given good
service, value for money and a product that works for minimum $. I understand
that the expectation is always more for less, however if customers expect more
than what is currently being delivered then I have to ask the question, in
clear, open and honest communication….“Mr/s Customer” how much more are you
willing to pay so that we can invest in more resources in order to develop a
better product?    David Barker
VP Operations Declude
Your Email security is our business
978.499.2933 office
978.988.1311 faxdbar...@declude.comfrom: supp...@declude.com
[mailto:supp...@declude.com] On Behalf Of Darin CoxSent: Wednesday, June 03,
2009 11:50 AMTo: declude.vi...@declude.comsubject: Re: [Declude.Virus] Declude
Virus inoperable for 13% of th year?Wow, what a way to respond to a long-time,
loyal paying customer!  Instead of apologizing for the serious problem and
relaying what steps are being taken to avoid it happening again (a simple
reminder in the calendar system of your choice would suffice), it's being
thrown back in the customer's face.Regarding the question of increasing prices
for service agreements, that has no bearing on a current customer who has
already paid the fees.  Such customers should expect the service they paid for
to be rendered.  Failure to do so is a breach of agreement on Declude's part.
While we are all human and problems can occur, this is a serious failure, and
the tone of the response being putative instead of apologetic makes customers
less forgiving, not more.To be frank, many customers are asking what they are
paying for, when fix and feature requests take months to be released, or not at
all.I understand the situation may be frustrating, but it's often best to step
back for a moment, vent elsewhere if needed, then respond professionally to
customers.  Clear, open, and honest communication also helps.Please don't take
this email as incendiary.  It is meant to be constructive.Darin.----- Original
Message ----- From:David BarkerTo:declude.vi...@declude.comsent: Wednesday,
June 03, 2009 11:07 AMSubject: RE: [Declude.Virus] Declude Virus inoperable for
13% of th year?Andy,a.Declude Virus does not have a built in system to report
this error as with this specific example. What happened here is not the norm
but an exception.  It was not our choice to hard code the expiration date but a
requirement from AVG. In this instance the specific persons who we had been
working with at AVG are no longer with the company and the process of having
this renewed took longer than usual. b.I am not sure if you are being
facetious, but if it makes you feel better, sure you can schedule a reminder
for me,  please email me at least 3 month prior of the new expiration date
2010-12-31 c.Yes AVG was not working as it should have been since 2009-04-10 I
agree with you -  this is totally unacceptable, intolerable, painful and should
not be brushed aside lightly. You are correct in your observations, we should
increase our prices dramatically so we can hire more developers to ensure
unfortunate incidents like this don’t happen again.  Considering the market and
what other vendors charge how much more are you prepared to pay for your
service agreement so that we can meet this type of requirement ?David Barker
VP Operations Declude
Your Email security is our business
978.499.2933 office
978.988.1311 faxdbar...@declude.comfrom: supp...@declude.com
[mailto:supp...@declude.com] On Behalf Of Andy SchmidtSent: Wednesday, June 03,
2009 9:08 AMTo: declude.vi...@declude.comsubject: [Declude.Virus] Declude Virus
inoperable for 13% of th year?Importance: HighSensitivity: PersonalHi,Dave – so
now that we have a working Declude Virus again, what can be done to prevent
this from recurring.a)Apparently Declude Virus has no error tracking in place
at all – otherwise it would have REPORTED to us (or your own Declude to your
own mail server) that the AVG API was no longer performing scans?b)Do the
customers need to set a follow-up reminder for December 2010, which is when
your new renewed AVG license will expire?The old DecludeProc had THIS AVG
License String:LicBeg, Ver=1.0, Name="Declude",Exp=2009-04-10So this implies,
that the product was inoperable since April 10th for every customer because
Declude didn’t obtain a new annual AVG license and had to wait a few days for
this “transaction” to complete? That means the product was unusable for 13% of
the year?This can’t just be brushed aside quietly. Best Regards,Andy
---
This E-mail came from the Declude.Virus mailing list. To
type "unsubscribe Declude.Virus". The archives can be found
at http://www.mail-archive.com.
---