Hi all,

We have an unbelievably fabulous collection of knowledge in the
Derby wiki at http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby

However, when I was working with the wiki during the 10.13
release process, I found it rather frustrating, because the wiki
is very slow to respond and even slower to edit.

Sometimes I would have to wait several minutes for the wiki
to respond to a page edit or page save request, and I would
routinely have to wait 30 seconds or more to navigate between pages.

I contacted infra@, and they responded with this:

> Unfortunately, the Moinmoin backend for wiki.apache.org doesn’t
> scale well, and performance issues are a common problem. We
> suggest moving over to our Confluence-based wiki site, cwiki.apache.org.
> We can assist you with this transition.
>
> There is very little we can do about the performance of
> wiki.apache.org. The stop-and-go slowness issues are usually
> due to crawlers, spam-bots, or other nefarious entities which
> cause the existing server to bog down due to the architecture of Moin.

Has this issue been discussed among the Derby community before?

Do folks have an opinion about what we should do here?

thanks,

bryan