Thanks, Rory. It appears that the Taglet classes have moved again. When I compile Derby with b162, I see lots of errors like the following:

[javac] /Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/trunk/java/build/org/apache/derbyBuild/javadoc/DiskLayoutTaglet.java:24: error: package jdk.javadoc.doclet.taglet does not exist
    [javac] import jdk.javadoc.doclet.taglet.Taglet;
    [javac]                                 ^
[javac] /Users/rhillegas/derby/mainline/trunk/java/build/org/apache/derbyBuild/javadoc/DiskLayoutTaglet.java:35: error: cannot find symbol
    [javac] public class DiskLayoutTaglet implements Taglet
    [javac]                                          ^
    [javac]   symbol: class Taglet

I don't see Taglet in the public javadoc at http://download.java.net/java/jdk9/docs/api/index.html?overview-summary.html

Any suggestions concerning best practices for patching around this problem?