Hi,

just to make sure, that I understand what is going on:

Suppose I have some table with a variable length column type, e.g. a
varchar(10000). The data in this column are large, say, on average of about
9000 characters.

Then I replace the data and they are on average only 10 characters long.

Suppose, I have a huge number of rows, so that the following makes sence.

When I understand the derby documentation, the space -- 8990 characters on
average in each row -- is unused and completely wasted. Derby does not
automatically frees this space.

Is this correct so far? Or does it depend? If yes, on what?

I want to make the unused space availabe to derby for the insertion of new
rows. It should be optinal to give unused space back to the OS. In order to do
so, I have to use some system utility.

Correct?

The only utility I found is SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE. But is
this correct?

I do not have deleted rows, to I do not need PURGE_ROWS.

I do not need to move entire rows, so I do not need DEFRAGMENT_ROWS.

So the utility will not help???

Since SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE will only give unused space back to the
OS, this is not helpfull either. Or is it?

Where is my misunderstanding, i.e. what do I have to do, in order do reclame
the space?

Or does derby somehow optimize disk usage in the described case automatically?

Thanks in advance
Karl