Hi all,

we had a discussion in tdf#100898 how to make a11y consistent. Apparently the
understanding of sidebars (and also decks/content panels) differs a little bit.
Our guideline [1] says "Panes (aka decks) are switchable via tab buttons and
via keyboard shortcut.", which is not sufficient.

From the MS guidelines [2]:

* The TAB key moves the input focus to the next area of an active pane only if
it is not used by any other controls within the window.
* The CTRL+TAB shortcut keys or F6 function key moves the input focus to the
next pane or palette.
* The CTRL+F6 combination moves the input focus to the next window in a group
of related windows or between multiple-document interface (MDI) windows.

I would understand the content panel as kind of a tab control.

"...The Tab control can divide controls into several pages ...accessed by
shortcut keys such as CTRL+TAB, CTRL+PAGE UP, and CTRL+ PAGE DOWN. Generally,
the Tab control is within the navigation order of active UI elements. Users can
navigate through different elements by using arrow keys when the input focus is
on the control."

Solution 1 (that's my understanding of keyboard navigation yet it's not the
current status):

+ Navigate on the top level UI hierarchy per F6. Start with the main menu,
followed by the open toolbars, and finally the sidebar.
+ Use arrow keys to navigation within main menu and toolbars, and execute the
function per Enter.
+ Within the sidebar use arrow keys to traverse the tabs (e.g. Properties,
Styles, Gallery etc.). Press Return to enter the deck.
+ Within the deck cycle through the content panels (e.g. Styles, Character,
Paragraph etc.) per ctrl+tab/shift+ctrl+tab.
+ Within the content panel navigate between controls using tab/shift+tab (e.g.
Alignment, Bullets, Numbering etc. at Properties > Styles).
+ Use arrow keys to access controls that are part of a collection such as
toggle buttons, lists, dropdowns (e.g. bold, italic, underline etc.).
+ Label all decks, content panels, controls/collections and provide mnemonic
accelerator.

The least important function to close a content panel is reached per cursor
right on the content panel title level. Ctrl+tab is the default to access
panels in tab controls.

Solution 2 (what we have today and what Stuart describes in comment 5 of
tdf#100898):

+ Navigate on the top level UI hierarchy per F6. Start with the main menu,
followed by open toolbars, and finally the sidebar.
+ In the sidebar cycle through deck title, content panels, and sidebar decks
using the arrow keys.
+ Enter the sidebar deck per return, or cycle through the content including the
close button per tab/shift+tab.
+ Use arrow keys to access controls that are part of a collection such as
toggle buttons, lists, dropdowns etc.
+ Make the content panel title part of the tab sequence to allow exit.
+ Label all decks, content panels, controls/collections and provide mnemonic
accelerator.

First of all, is this correct? And if yes, with what solution we should go
ahead? At best we get input from Texou or someone else.

Cheers,
Heiko

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/SideBar
[2] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms971323.aspx