it happens for others too - just google it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1867733&page=3

i am running my ubuntu on an SSD.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  double login required on power-up

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  When the login screen appears, no matter which password I type, I am
  presented with the same login-screen again. On the second attempt, I
  am able to log in.

  The first time, it does not complain about wrong passwords.. It
  displays the login-screen again either way. This happens both on 11.10
  and 12.04 for me.

  On 11.10, there was some garbage text on top of the login-screen the first
time. This is gone on 12.04
  On 12.04, the login sound (drums) is played once for each login.

  Specifics about release:

  uname -a:
  Linux oivind-pc 3.2.0-24-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 25 08:43:22 UTC 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.04

  Package: lightdm 1.2.1-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  Date: Thu May 10 22:23:58 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US:en
   TERM=xterm