[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Given the inherent over head in total order protocols, I think we
should work to limit the messages passed over the protocol, to only
the absolute minimum to make our cluster work reliably.
Specifically, I think this is only the distributed lock.  For state
replication we can use a much more efficient tcp or udp based protocol.

As I said, if your workload has low data sharing (e.g. session
replication), you should not use totem. It's designed for systems where
_each_ processor needs _most_ of the messages.
Geronimo has a number of replication usecases (I'll be enumerating them in a document that I am putting together at the moment) Totem may well suit some of these. If we were to look seriously at using it, I think the first technical consideration would be API. Geronimo already has ActiveCluster (AC) in the incubator and WADI (An HttpSession and SFSB clustering solution is built on AC). AC is both an API to basic clustering fn-ality and a number of pluggable impls. My suggestion would be that we look at how we could map Totem to the AC API.

Do Totem and AC (http://activecluster.codehaus.org/) look like a good match ?

Jules

crystallises out around it."

* Jules Gosnell