On 5/3/2017 3:59 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>> On 3 May 2017, at 14:53, Issac Goldstand <mar...@beamartyr.net
>> <mailto:mar...@beamartyr.net>> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/3/2017 12:46 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>>> ….
>>>
>>> So how about ‘us’ taking the lead here.
>>
>> That's the part I was always +1 on :)
>>
>>> We, here, simply define ‘one’ setting as the industry best standard -
>>> which roughly corresponds to what ssllabs their test would get you an
>>> A+ and that pretty much meets or exceeds the various NIST et.al.
>>> recommendations for key lengths for the next 5 years.
>>
>> The problem is, that we don't know what's going to be good going forward
>> five years, and IMHO the best standards are shaped at least equally by
>> removing "negatives" often because of high-risk vulnerabilities, as by
>> adding new "positives" due to new available ciphers/tools
>
> Right - so I think there are two things
>
> 1)the general advice of NIST et.al. - summarized nicely at:
>
> https://www.keylength.com
>
> which tells us what our `best acceptable’ choises are in any release
> going out and their likely vailidy for the next 5 years.
>
> And then there is our response to things that become known; such as
> vulnerability - for which we have a proven update proces that is
> dovetailed by us sending mail to announce, the security mailing lists
> and similar outreach.

Which, IMHO, we can safely expect Mr and Mrs Normal to never see.  Mr
and Mrs normal aren't on the mailing list of most pieces of software,
even if they use them.

If we truly want to cater to them (and by doing so, do our part in
advocating a safer and more secure internet) then I maintain that we'd
need to do better.