On 08.11.2013 13:39, Armin Le Grand wrote:
On 08.11.2013 13:18, Herbert Duerr wrote:
[...]
If you are working on Windows then you'll notice that the
--with-mozilla-build option is still there as NSS being part of the
Mozilla project needs the Mozilla build environment. If you object to
install the Mozilla build environment then you couldn't build the
moz+nss modules on Windows then and cannot build nss on Windows now.
Please use the --disable-nss-module or the --disable-category-B
switches if providing the Mozilla build environment for NSS is out of
the question.

Is there a way to get around this...? Maybe nss can be 'replaced'
somehow...?

There are several libraries that could be alternatives, please see [1] for an overview. Evaluating the viability of them for replacing the individual aspects of NSS that are used in AOO could be an interesting task for volunteers.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_TLS_implementations

Regarding the requirement of having the mozilla build environment for building NSS on Windows: I don't think NSS needs much of that tooling. They require this MingW based environment like we depend on our Cygwin based environment. NSS could certainly be rewritten to use cygwin too. But is it worth the trouble? Downloading MozBuildSetup [2] and running it is not much of an effort and it has the great benefit that we can then consume the source releases of NSS almost directly. The alternative of rewriting NSS for our cygwin environment would be much more intrusive than what is recommended for a category-B licensed library.

[2] http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/libraries/win32

Herbert