On Thu, 2016-11-03 at 13:41 +0100, Matthias B. wrote:
> Thanks ro reply and thanks for the information, but is there a way to
> access the NSS (shared) Database with OpenSSL in C++? The Code you
> told me is using the binary files. So first i want a solution for
> accessing it in C++-Code. Is it possible in a (easy) way?

Sure. I gave command-line examples because they're fairly trivial, but
they were pointing you in the right direction.

For read-only access (using certs and keys which exist in the NSS db),
you can use the PKCS#11 engine. Look in curl, wpa_supplicant, and other
things for examples. It goes something like:

 ENGINE *e = ENGINE_by_id("pkcs11");
 ENGINE_init(e);
 EVP_PKEY *pkey = ENGINE_load_private_key(e, "pkcs11:...", ...);

Using the LOAD_CERT_CTRL engine command is slightly more complex but
I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader. Again, examples in curl,
wpa_supplicant, etc.

For writing to the token, you're going to want to use libp11 directly.

Note that my trivial example made use of p11-kit. That's how we do the
system-wide configuration on Linux of which PKCS#11 tokens should be
visible to which processes. The engine will load p11-kit-proxy.so by
default, and thus load (and proxy, as the name implies" all the tokens
indicated by the system configuration. My 'nss.config' file that I
showed first was the per-user configuration which asked it to load the
NSS softokn module.

For your special case, you might want to load the NSS softokn module
*directly* instead of going through p11-kit. In which case, make sure
you use PKCS11_CTX_init_args() to set the arguments that point it to
the correct database directory, etc.

--
dwmw2