On 2016-12-05, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> I have been following the latest emails on retiring sub projects in
> Ant. I just see a proposal to retire IvyDE (the Eclipse plugin) for
> valid reasons (given the lack of any real activity in there). Given
> this, I would like to understand what the future of Ivy project itself
> is.

This isn't easy to answer. It looks as if we could manage to gain
momentum again. Looking at the number of people who responded in this
thread, there seems to be enough interest of people willing to get their
hands dirty.

For now there we don't intend to retire Ivy, but it sure looks pretty
much asleep.

Honestly I don't think the problem is that nobody knows how to cut a
release, this should be automated mostly anyway and would be extremely
hard to do without access to ASF infrastructure. What we seem to lack is
people who actually know the Ivy code base and have the time to review
patches/develop new features.

Taking myself as an example I have never looked much at Ivy's code and
have completely ignored all issues over there. My plate is full anyway
and I wouldn't know how to find the time needed to learn the ins and
outs. Of course there is a catch here, if we don't manage to apply
patches we'll never find people who are willing to contribute.

Ivy may be in use by other projects (I think gradle 3 has moved off of
Ivy, may be wrong) but that still shouldn't stop us from retiring it
once we'd find that we aren't able to fix bugs anymore.