Thank you for sending this. I am not going to reply in depth now, but will do
so to Kelly and
others over the weekend, but this is *precisely* the reason that I have been so
emphatic
about trying to get the PMC to see the road they have already gone done and the
ship that
has already set sail.

Those not familiar with Lucene and its vote to merge Lucene/Solr may want to
Google the
Apache archives around 2010 and see some of the effects of Individual
organizations and
vendors driving supposedly vendor neutral Apache projects. It’s not even
conjecture at this
point in Cassandra. The Board has acted as Greg referred to else-thread, and we
asked Jonathan & the
PMC to find a new chair (rotation is healthy yes, but we also need the chair to
be the eyes
and ears of the Board and we asked for a change there). Mark Thomas from the
Apache Board
also has a set of actions that he is working with the PMC having to do with
trademarks and
other items to move towards more independent governance.

Your experience that you cite below Lukasz is precisely one I found in
Lucene/Solr, Hadoop,
Maven, and other projects. Sometimes the ship has been righted – for example in
all of these
projects they have moved towards much more independent governance, welcoming to
contributors,
and shared community for the project. However, in other cases (see IBATIS), it
didn’t work out, for
various reasons including community issues, but also misunderstandings as to
the way that the
ASF works. I know my own experience of being an unpaid, occasional contributor
to some open
source projects has put me to a disadvantage even in some ASF projects driven
by a single vendor.
I’ve also been paid to work on open source (at the ASF and elsewhere) and in
doing so, been on the
other side of the code. That’s why ASF projects and my own work in particular I
strive to try and
remain neutral and to address these types of issues by being welcoming, lower
the bar to committership
and PMC, and moving “contributors” to having a vote/shared governance of the
project at the ASF.

Thanks for sending this email and your insights are welcome below. The Apache
Board should hear this
too so I am CC’ing them.

Cheers,
Chris