> On Mar 4, 2017, at 7:06 AM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Jeff Jirsa <jji...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 5:40 AM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I used them. I built do it yourself secondary indexes with them. They
>> have
>>> there gotchas, but so do all the secondary index implementations. Just
>>> because datastax does not write about something. Lets see like 5 years
>> ago
>>> there was this: https://github.com/hmsonline/cassandra-triggers
>>>

>> Still in use? How'd it work? Production ready? Would you still do it that
>> way in 2017?
>>

>>> There is a fairly large divergence to what actual users do and what other
>>> groups 'say' actual users do in some cases.
>>>

>> A lot of people don't share what they're doing (for business reasons, or
>> because they don't think it's important, or because they don't know
>> how/where), and that's fine but it makes it hard for anyone to know what
>> features are used, or how well they're really working in production.
>>
>> I've seen a handful of "how do we use triggers" questions in IRC, and they
>> weren't unreasonable questions, but seemed like a lot of pain, and more
>> than one of those people ultimately came back and said they used some other
>> mechanism (and of course, some of them silently disappear, so we have no
>> idea if it worked or not).
>>
>> If anyone's actively using triggers, please don't keep it a secret. Knowing
>> that they're being used would be a great way to justify continuing to
>> maintain them.
>>
>> - Jeff
>>

> "Still in use? How'd it work? Production ready? Would you still do it that
> way in 2017?"
>
> I mean that is a loaded question. How long has cassandra had Secondary
> Indexes? Did they work well? Would you use them? How many times were they
> re-written?

It wasn't really meant to be a loaded question; I was being sincere

But I'll answer: secondary indexes suck for many use cases, but they're
invaluable for their actual intended purpose, and I have no idea how many times
they've been rewritten but they're production ready for their narrow use case
(defined by cardinality).

Is there a real triggers use case still? Alternative to MVs? Alternative to
CDC? I've never implemented triggers - since you have, what's the level of
surprise for the developer?