The moinmoin wiki was preferred but because of spam, images couldn’t be
attached.  The options were to use confluence or have a moderated list of
individuals be approved to update the wiki.  The decision was made to go with
the latter because of the preference to stick with moinmoin rather than
confluence.  That’s my understanding of the history there.  I don’t know if
people would like to revisit using one or the other at this point, though it
would take a bit of work to convert.