From: Eric Stevens [mailto:migh...@gmail.com]
Sent: jeudi 20 avril 2017 00:41
To: dev@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cassandra on RocksDB experiment result

> Right now all the compaction strategies share the assumption that the data
> structure and layout on disk is fixed. With pluggable storage engine, we
> need to special case each compaction strategy (or at least the Abstract
> class of compaction strategy) for each engine.

As Ben points out, compaction should be treated as _part_ of the storage
layer.  The need to engage in compaction is a consequence of immutable data
stores behind a mutable interface.  A different storage layer might require
a different approach or might not even require compaction in the same sense.