> On May 15, 2017, at 6:57 PM, 大平怜 <rei.oda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the discussion, all,
>
>>> * What's included when shipped in tree?
>>>
>>> Does every idea get merged in? Do we need 30 different Seed providers?  Who
>>> judges what's valuable enough to add?  Who maintains it when it needs
>>> updating?  If the maintainer can't be found, is it removed?  Shipped
>>> broken?  Does the contributed plugins go through the same review process?
>>> Do the contributors need to be committers?  Would CASSANDRA-12627 be merged
>>> in even if nobody saw the value?
>
> If the rule is to never merge a feature that is pluggable, then it
> would be easy to make a decision, but if not, then we must anyway ask
> ourselves these questions every time a feature is proposed, and I
> think most of the questions are not specific to plugins but generic
> for any new proposals.

Agreed.  Include or not is the same decision we make for any JIRA.

>> In accordance with the idea that the codebase should be better tested, it
>> seems to me like things shouldn't be added that aren't testable.  If
>> there's a million unit tests that are insanely comprehensive but for some
>> reason can never be run, they serve exactly the same value as no tests.
>
> I think we need to define what the "testable" means.  Does it mean at
> least one of the committers has full access to an environment where
> she can run the tests?  Also, does it mean the environment is
> integrated to the CI?

To me testable means that we can run the tests at the very least for every
release, but ideally they would be run more often than that.  Especially with
the push to not release unless the test board is all passing, we should not be
releasing features that we don’t have a test board for.  Ideally that means we
have it in ASF CI.  If there is someone that can commit to posting results of
runs from an outside CI somewhere, then I think that could work as well, but
that gets pretty cumbersome if we have to check 10 different CI dashboards at
different locations before every release.

-Jeremiah