On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Jonathan Haddad <j...@jonhaddad.com> wrote:

> There's a handful of issues I can think of with shipping everything
> in-tree.  I'll try to brain dump them here.
>
> * What's included when shipped in tree?
>
> Does every idea get merged in? Do we need 30 different Seed providers?
> Who judges what's valuable enough to add?  Who maintains it when it needs
> updating?  If the maintainer can't be found, is it removed?  Shipped
> broken?  Does the contributed plugins go through the same review process?
> Do the contributors need to be committers?  Would CASSANDRA-12627 be merged
> in even if nobody saw the value?

No, and I think we should make this distinction.

There's a difference between "vendor specific" (or "platform specific")
plugins (which may be of limited use, but are objectively useful to "some"
right person), and random implementations of some pluggable interface (like
12627).

A patch that makes a given third party product or platform useful is
different than a patch that adds a feature just to add a feature. If
someone contributed an Azure snitch tomorrow, I'd (personally) expect to
include it, even though we likely have no way to test it, and it's only
useful to the % of people running cassandra on Azure.