Thanks for the input Benjamin. Sounds like you've come to a lot of the same
conclusions I have. I'm certainly keen on fixing up MV's and I don't really
see a way we could avoid it, as I know they are already widely being used
in production. I think we would have had a much easier time if we went with
a basic implementation (append only) first, but y'know, hindsight.
Unfortunately I'd say we're kind of stuck with fixing what we've got or
have a really angry userbase that jumps ship.

*What I miss is a central consensus about "MV business rules" + a central
> set of proofs and or tests that support these rules and proof or falsify
> assumptions in a reproducible way.*
>
>From what I gathered from JIRA the goals in my original post are the ones
outlined during initial development of MV's. The general design and goals
were also documented here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sK96wsE3uwFqzrLQju_spya6rOTxojOKR9N7W-rPwdw/edit#heading=h.c88v9p3byo75>,
however doesn't completely cover the current state of MV's.
I'm with you that we certainly need a set of proofs/tests to support these
rules. At the moment a lot of the open tickets have patches that contribute
good tests that cover many cases however we're almost kind of defining
rules as we go (granted it is difficult when we need to test every possible
write you could make in Cassandra).

In regards to your "tickler", a colleague has been working on something
similar however we haven't deemed it quite production ready yet so we
haven't released it to the public. It may be useful to compare notes if
you're interested!

​