Hello Mark!

> The changes to the 1.2.x branch helped with the fmemopen() error,
Fine!

> still have the libiconv errors.
>
>      Link fsvs
> libiconv_open                       helper.o  (symbol belongs to
> implicit dependency /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.2)
> libiconv                            helper.o  (symbol belongs to
> implicit dependency /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.2)

Hmmm ... your dump shows this functions:
00029f54 g     F .text  000008ac libiconv_open
0002a800 g     F .text  000000a8 libiconv

> I upgrade from libiconv from 1.9.2 to 1.11 which I believe svn was
> compiled against (I'm using the sunfreeware package) but that didn't
> resolve this.
Do you have the matching header files?
Is it possible that the .h are from 1.9.2, but your libiconv is already 1.11 (or
vice-versa?)

Is libiconv in the linker command line, ie. -liconv? Maybe that helps.

There are some options that can be used for diagnosing on the linker command
line ...
  --trace
  --print-map
  --trace-symbol libiconv_open

Regards,

Phil

--
Versioning your /etc, /home or even your whole installation?
             Try fsvs (fsvs.tigris.org)!