> Do you have the matching header files?
> Is it possible that the .h are from 1.9.2, but your libiconv is
already
> 1.11 (or
> vice-versa?)

I do have the right headers, but I also have the Sun libiconv and
Solaris headers could have been interfering.

> Is libiconv in the linker command line, ie. -liconv? Maybe that helps.

It wasn't, and I believe this fixed my problem.  Added -liconv to
EXTRALIBS in src/Makefile, was there a configure flag I should have
used?

> There are some options that can be used for diagnosing on the linker
> command line ...
>   --trace
>   --print-map
>   --trace-symbol libiconv_open

Where would I have used these, added to the Link command line in
src/Makefile?

So if anyone else unfamiliar with a Solaris build environment is trying
to do this here's some help.
I used Solaris 10 u07 with sunfreeware svn-1.6.5 and dependencies, along
with sunfreeware GNU utils including gcc.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/apache2/lib
NOTE: not including /usr/local/apache2/lib caused some of my previous
problems long ago with a conftest failing during configure.

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/ccs/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
:/sbin

CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc

./configure --with-aprinc=/usr/local/apache2/include
--with-aprlib=/usr/local/apache2/lib --with-svnlib=/usr/local/lib
--with-svninc=/usr/local/include --enable-dev-fake

Add -liconv to EXTRALIBS in src/Makefile

make

Now I'll start trying to use it.  Hopefully I don't run into any issues.

Thanks,
Mark