Figure out what the problem was - I was using JDK 1.8 and the version of
XStream we are using: 1.4.5 has some issues with JDK 1.8.

After downgrading locally to JDK 1.7 these XRef and Json files were being
created fine and tests passed.

We will need to upgrade xstream to at least version 1.4.6 if we want to
claim JBehave works with JDK 1.8.

XStream Issue: https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/XSTR-746

XStream Release Notes Which mention this issue was resolved:
http://xstream.codehaus.org/changes.html

Regards,
Christopher Aguirre