I see no reason why this is done, maybe Karl Heinz remembers it.
I see that a different constructor is used for the filter, must have to do with that, although I see mocks too, which I consider cheap. In general, if tests are too expensive, then the code is probably too complex and should be split up so you can make more lightweight tests, when possible of course.

Robert