+1 to the general analysis

perhaps using previous release is not so easy since this plugin is used on
CLI, not in a pom.xml (in general), then you don't really choose which version
will be used when you launch "mvn archetype:generate": Maven magic does a
choice for you
The longer command line to choose version "mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-
archetype-plugin:2.4:generate" is really so much harder to write

I don't know why we don't support "mvn archetype:2.4:generate": is it just we
didn't find any use case until now or there is some issue? And we could perhaps
even support "mvn archetype::generate" which displays available versions to
choose from, in case one does not remember which precise version he wants
(apart from "not the latest")

Regards,

Hervé