Looks like ARCHETYPE-520[1] to me. I've created an integration-test for it, so that should work with 3.0.1

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced we should also remove the archetypeCatalog parameter. Right now it is only causing confusion. Does it still make sense to have "internal", which are in fact a small set of embedded archetypes, and they are old (and remote available as well)? Aether/Artifact Resolver should solve the rest: use both remote and local as everybody is used to. Want to only use local, then I guess you should add --offline.

WDYT?

Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARCHETYPE-520