Build extensions are loaded too late to contribute event spies, see how
EventSpyDispatcher makes a copy of spies when it's created. And even if
EventSpyDispatcher didn't make the copy, I think build extensions are
not in scope to capture all events, i.e. things that happen before/after
individual project builds will not be captures.

What should work is what I call "core extension" [1], which can be
configured in .mvn/extensions.xml in your project source tree and are
loaded very early during the build, before Maven core plexus container
is created.

[1] http://takari.io/book/91-maven-classloading.html

Igor