Le 25/06/2017 à 22:03, Chas Honton a écrit :
Under what circumstances would a plugin not want the platform classloader?

Chas

Thinking about this more, with the current situation, it actually means that potential providers, located in named modules loaded for example by Maven core classloader or extension classloader, will not be available to plugins using ServiceLoader. So this is bigger than platform classloader. As Robert said, I think there needs to be a way for plugins to know about modules.

Reading more into the docs, this may be possible using a ModuleLayer. Each plugin would have its own module layer composed of modules found in its dependencies. Their parent would be a module layer associated to Maven core, and its parent would be the boot layer. This would solve the ServiceLoader issue for named modules in a plugin realm, since it would locate providers in all modules in the module layer of the plugin, and then do the same for their parents, up to the boot layer. However, for it to work, I'm not sure if this implies that everything be made modular (plugins and Maven itself). I will try to do some testing on this.

Guillaume