> There must be a difference between the 2 projects.

There is no difference. It's the same repo on the same commit, I
called "git clean -xfd ." prior to executing those maven commands (and
obviously there are no other changes).

> But as long as there's no attachment which reproduces the issue, we can't
> help. Ensure that you've seen the attached project fail.

I know, Robert. But you have to trust me that it does fail (non-predictably).

> - rename the directory (for backup), do a fresh checkout and try to do it
> again.

git clean -xfd .

> - try to follow the path as displayed in the exception.  It shows all
> required Maven coordinates and even the precise location in the pom.xml

It's an identical (relative path); the resolution of those relative
paths is broken somehow.

Where is the Maven code (on github) that's responsible for this pom
resolution? Adding -X doesn't really yield any useful logs as to where
it tries to locate those relative parent POMs, prior to just breaking.
I'll take a look at it, but it'd save me some time if you could point
me at the code that performs this.

Dawid