> [...]
> > say on this subject.
> >
> > Since we (actually mostly Dogacan) wrote 2.0 and delegated the storage to
> > Gora, the latter hasn't really taken off since incubation. There have
> > been some modest contributions to it but it does not seem to be used
> > much and there is virtually nothing happening on it in terms of
> > development. More worryingly, the people who initially contributed to it
> > are not very active on the project (such is life, new jobs, different
> > projects, etc...) anymore·. As for Nutch 2.0, it hasn't made any
> > progress in  the last 12 months : we still have the same bugs, the tests
> > do not work, the build has to be done manually etc...
>
> Yep.
>
> > At the same time, there has been a new lease of life into Nutch as a
> > whole : there is definitely more activity on the mailing lists, new
> > users, new active committers  etc... and quite a few bugfixes and
> > improvements - most of them backported from what had been done in the
> > trunk and people seem fairly happy with what we can do with 1.4
>
> Totally agreed. I'm actually not super surprised -- ever since 1.1, I kind
> of felt that maintaining a stable 1.X branch of Nutch (in parallel to the
> 2.0 efforts) was really going to pay off since there was renewed interest
> from users in leveraging (and furthermore accepting) the nuances of 1.X.
>
> > So the question is : what shall we do with 2.0? Here are a few
> > possibilities
> >

> > a) put some effort into it, fix the bugs and make so that it can be used
> > instead of 1.x
> > b) shelve it and leave it for enthusiasts to play with + make 1.x the
> > trunk again
> > c) do nothing : keep 2.0 and 1.x in parallel  (but having to maintain two
> > branches is quite a pain)
> > d) abandon the idea of a neutral storage layer with Gora and hardwire it
> > to e.g. HBase
> >
> > Option (a) has not happened in the last 12 months and I am not very
> > hopeful about it.
> >
> > What do you guys think?
>
> I'd suggest an option e). Evolve and keep releasing 1.X over the next 6
> months, and keep 2.0 in the trunk. After 6 months, see how close 1.X is to
> actually being 2.0 (e.g., did we release a 1.4, a 1.5, a 1.6?) If we get
> to ~1.6 over the next 6 months and there is still no active development on
> 2.0, I'd propose we do this at that point in time:
>
> 1. branch the current trunk as
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/nutch/branches/nutchgora 2. grab latest
> stable branch (e.g.,
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/nutch/branches/branch-1.6) and *replace*
> the Nutch trunk with it, and bump the version # to 1.7-dev 3. active
> development on stable becomes active development in trunk and nutchgora
> still exists in case anyone ever resurrects it.
>
> That way, we give another 6 months to see how it shakes out and potentially
> allow for 1 or 2 or 3 more stable releases before switching those over to

Yes. I don't believe we should wait until january before discussing this topic
again. I, for example, cannot spend considerable extra time on the issues i
put in 1.4, also due to the fact that it's not entirely stable.

There are many things i can write about this topic right now but don't feel
it's neccessary. The choice is difficult and perhaps painful but when the
voting round is opened by our project lead, i will vote for promoting 1.x back
to trunk.

My apologies for my impatience and pessimism.